Trinity College is the oldest residential college of the University of Melbourne in Australia. The college was founded in 1872 on a site granted to the Church of England by the university.
The first Anglican Bishop of Melbourne, Charles Perry, founded Trinity College in 1872. The college was affiliated with the University of Melbourne in 1876. The Trinity College Theological School was founded by Bishop James Moor house in 1877.
In 1883 the college became the first university college in Australia to admit women when Lilian Helen Alexander was accepted as a non-resident student. With the establishment of the Trinity Women's Hostel (which later became Janet Clarke Hall) in 1886, Trinity admitted women as resident students, making it the first university college in Australia to do so.
In 1989, the Trinity College Foundation Studies program was established to prepare international students for entry to the University of Melbourne. Since 2001, Trinity has also offered summer school programs to high school age students from around Australia and internationally. In 2010, the college hosted its first Juilliard Winter Jazz School, which was repeated in 2011.