Facts about Canberra, AustraliaCanberra, ACT (Australian Capital Territory)
- Canberra is the Capital of Australia.
- The ACT has the highest participation rate in sport of any state or territory.
- Over 70 per cent of the ACT is open space!
- We have the highest attendance at art galleries, concerts, theatre, dance, cinemas and musicals in Australia.
- Canberra has a higher percentage of volunteers than other Australian cities.
- Our median age is younger than the rest of Australia: 34 (ACT) 37 (Australia)
- Canberra has the most highly educated population in Australia.
- A higher percentage of people use a bicycle as the main form of transport than anywhere else in Australia
- A higher percentage of households in Canberra recycle waste than the rest of Australia
- We have the highest number of dwelling commencements than anywhere else in Australia
- Canberra is:
- 281 kilometers to Sydney
- 660 kilometers to Melbourne
- 210 kilometers to Snowy Mountains
- 150kms to South Coast
- The ACT stands for the 'Australian Capital Territory', and is Australia's smallest self-governed territory comprising 2,359km2 of bushland and one major city – Canberra.
- 23.8% of our population was born overseas.
- Canberra has the highest percentage of early adopters of technology and the greatest NBN take-up in Australia
universities & colleges in canberra